Monday, February 20, 2012

Rodeo

This past weekend the kids had Friday off so we took a quick trip to see my parents. I brought my camera, but didn't take any pictures. Go figure! We celebrated my mom's birthday (a little early), enjoyed the beautiful weather and just spent some time relaxing. As always, it was so nice to be together. The kids enjoy spending time with their cousins and I love watching them play. The picture below was taken by my brother-in-law at Christmas-time, but this is a common activity when we go to my parents. All of the kids like pony rides but Isaac likes to try to make them buck. I have to watch through my fingers! When my family was all together at Christmas all of the kids worked together to come up with their own rodeo. They were so creative and it turned out so well.

I can't tell you how grateful I am for my family. It's really hard for me not to have my family closer. But the Lord keeps graciously reminding me that I've been called to follow Him, wherever that might be. My obedience to Him is of utmost importance. He knows how special my family is to me but He wants to be first. Though it's very hard He has been so good. I'm grateful for my husband and five kiddos who love me and keep me on my toes. I'm thankful that distance has helped me appreciate my family even more. I'm also thankful that God has used this time of distance to help me grow in my dependence upon Him. I need Him so desperately! He has taught me so much. Growing in this one area has helped to prepare me for harder situations that I've been going through. I'm learning that how I respond to these trials, large or small, is so important. If I resist and dig in my heals and fight it, things just get worse. But if I ask the Lord to give me a teachable heart and draw me closer to Him He is so wonderful and things go much more smoothly. Not that it makes the situation go away but it gets my eyes on Jesus and off of myself.

"Blessed is the man who remains steadfast under trial, for when he has stood the test he will receive the crown of life, which God has promised to those who love Him."
James 1:12

No comments:

Post a Comment