Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Crying it out--Night #1

It has to be done. It really does. For the good of everyone involved, our sweet little Tirzah has to sleep through the night! This getting up 2-3 times a night at 6 1/2 months needs to stop! And up until last night, she had me wrapped around her little finger. Any time she whimpered for more than just a few minutes, I would go into her room to console her, even if it was just to put the pacifier in her mouth. But she knew. She knew it wouldn't take much to bring her momma running. So last night we decided that this is it. Now is the time to help her learn to fall back to sleep on her own. It will only get harder the longer we wait. I'm so thankful that my hubby is here to help keep me grounded, because around 1:30a.m. it started. Tirzah started to cry. And I could feel that motherly twitch start. The longer she cried the worse it got. And all I could think about was her adorable little baby face and I wanted to rush to her crib and console her. But every time I would toss, Nathan would hold my hand or put his arm over me (mostly to hold me down I think!). But it was what I needed. And I really think it is what Tirzah needed too. She needs a good nights sleep. Eventually (don't ask me how long, because I really don't know...it seemed like forever, though) she did go back to sleep on her own and slept until 6:00a.m. Woo-hoo! Now I'm wondering...how many nights is it going to take her to fall back to sleep on her own? I'll let you know :)

3 comments:

Cathy said...

I remember those nights. (Ugh!) But good for you on surviving night number 1. We did CIO with Ellie when she was about 6 months. With Samuel, we succumbed to nightly "pluggings"--getting up to put the paci back in. In hindsight, we should have kicked the paci habit back then. I am so thankful for Noah's thumb-sucking. He started sleeping through at 12 weeks. Very welcome for this aging momma! I may change my mind about this habit in a few years, though. :-)

Good luck tonight. My guess is 3 tough nights, then a couple nights of whimpers, then home free. Keep us posted.

Twila said...

Our little ones don't know that they are tearing our heart out! (Or maybe they do.) God be with you, Brenda (and family), it needs to be done, but what's good never comes easy! I know that my kids sleep well now because I broke their bad habits early. The blessings will come soon, I promise!

Christi said...

Good for you, I waited WAY too long to do that with Josiah and I regreted it! I am hoping to be brave this time and do it sooner...I may have to come to you for support!! Hang in there, you are a good momma and she will be sleeping good in no time!

Post a Comment